Monday, August 31, 2009

Working Woman

I called the Tacoma Public Schools HR office this morning to see if it was even possible for me to return to work this late in the game- school starts tomorrow!!! All I wanted was to be allowed to sub a few days a week even though I'm on leave from my contract.

The answer was no I can't sub, because when you are on leave that means you are unable to work for whatever reason. But, the woman in the office said she thought she might have a 0.5 (reading teacher/title I) job available to me at Downing Elementary.

When I got off the phone I prayed that if this was the right move for me the job would be a 3day/2day split or at least an afternoon position. When I got the call back the answers were: yes the job is available, yes I can have it, and it's an afternoon schedule. So it's official- I'm going back to work part-time.

This is not the direction Jeremie and I wanted to have to go, but it will be great in the long-run. First, the pay is way better than subbing and I get paid time off. Second, we get great state employee health insurance. Third, it helps me work on converting my certificate from a temporary (residency) state to a permanent (professional) state. Fourth, it guarantees me a contract with the Tacoma School District until at least a year after we have another baby instead of expiring this Spring. And fifth, it will significantly help with our new budget.

Please continue to pray for us. We are excited that at least one prayer has been answered. We are continuing to pray for Jeremie's career direction... I've been on the computer all morning researching firefighting positions and EMT training courses!

1 comment:

  1. "work" it girl! we are here for you if you need extra help and support!

    ReplyDelete